Restraining Order Conflict? You Need An Informed Civil Law Attorney
A civil restraining order protects individuals and their loved ones from harassment. Legally, harassment is the threat of violence; or repeated actions like harassing emails or phone calls that cause distress. Receiving approval for a restraining order can be difficult and so can fighting to prevent one.
At Contreras Law Firm, we represent clients from both sides of restraining order requests and other related civil law areas. Our team’s legal services extend to San Diego County and its surrounding California areas. If you believe you or your rights are at risk, contact us now.
Types Of Restraining Orders And What They Help Prevent
Those requesting a restraining order must show proof that someone is harassing them and that there is a reason to fear someone’s behavior could lead to violence and physical harm. There are two types of restraining orders:
- Temporary. Temporary restraining orders are an option for those seeking protection until there is a hearing before the full court. The order’s time frame is typically between 21 to 25 days.
- Permanent Restraining Order. A permanent restraining order can last up to five years. If the threat continues after that period, the order may extend for an additional five years. If there is no expiration date on the order, it will last three years from the issuing date.
What protections do these orders provide? Restraining orders prevent persons from engaging in a variety of threatening actions, including:
- Harassment and abuse
- Sexual assault
- Destroying personal property
- Directly or indirectly making contact
- Owning or buying a gun (It is illegal for anyone who has a civil harassment restraining order to own or purchase a gun.)
Whether you are hoping to request an order, or you want to prevent one, our experienced lawyers will provide you with compassionate legal counsel through your difficult time.
Protect Your Rights, Call Us Now.
Requesting or fighting a restraining order is not easy. But, there are steps you can take to ensure you and your rights are protected. Our attorneys can help. For a free initial consultation in our San Diego office, contact us via email or call 619-908-1495.
What Our Clients
Say About Us
Discuss Your Family Law Needs
With A Lawyer
Free Consultations Available
At Contreras Law Firm, PC, our attorneys understand the challenges clients are facing during these difficult times. We will take the time to fully understand your concerns, expectations and tailor a strategy around them. We will explain the laws that govern California family law matters and give you an honest assessment of what you can expect as your case moves forward.