A domestic violence restraining order is an order that you receive from a judge to to protect you from someone who is related to you in case of harassment, stalking, or something that your fearful of.
When asking for a domestic violence restraining order you can ask for protection for not only yourself, but also other people that are living with you like your children.
Asking for a domestic violence restraining order is a two-part process, the first part is to obtain a temporary restraining order, these can typically be done in the same day. If the temporary restraining order is granted, the court is going to set a hearing date to decide whether a permanent restraining order should be granted. If the court does grant the permanent restraining order, then it can last and protect you for up to five years.
Many times, our clients will be concerned about whether the other side is going to know if they’re requesting a restraining order. If your restraining order is not granted, the other side will never know that you requested it.
However, if your restraining order is granted its only at that point that the other side is going to be notified and served with those documents.
Famous people that have filed for domestic violence restraining orders are:
1. Jennifer Hudson filed a restraining order against fiancé David Otunga in 2017.
2. Christie Brinkley filed an order against her husband Peter Cook during their divorce proceedings.
3. Also, during divorce proceedings, Denise Richards requested a restraining order against former husband Charlie Sheen.
4. Johnny Depp was served with a restraining order from former wife Amber Heard after filing for divorce in 2016.
5. Tamra Barney filed a restraining order against her then-husband Simon Barney.
6. Chris Brown was served with a restraining order by then-girlfriend Rihanna, after a public incident of physical abuse.
If you’d like more information about obtaining a restraining order, or if you’ve been served with a restraining order and need representation please contact us for a free consultation, click here to schedule or send a SMS to 619-648-9652.
Legal advertisement. This is not legal advice.