Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Employment Law
- Appellate Law
- Probate/Estate Planning
When Mr. Stilwell takes on a case, his clients reap the benefit of his considerable knowledge, experience and personal investment in ensuring their satisfaction.
As a skilled trial attorney with over 17 years of experience, Mr. Stilwell has tried numerous jury and non-jury trials and arbitrations to verdict in state court and federal court. Mr. Stilwell has successfully argued in front of the California Supreme Court, where the Court issued a landmark decision vindicating more than 200,000 distressed homeowners who were victimized during the statewide mortgage collapse.
Mr. Stilwell’s skills extend beyond the courtroom and into the transactional side of the law. Having drafted and negotiated countless contracts, whether in business, construction or real estate, he knows what to look for inside and outside of the courtroom. A well-versed attorney, like Mr. Stilwell, understand that drafting and litigating a contract go hand-in-hand. When analyzing a contract for litigation purposes, Mr. Stilwell knows exactly what to look for, what will hold-up and what won’t. At the same token, when he is drafting a contract, he knows which provisions are highly contested and which need to be included to protect his clients.
Mr. Stilwell’s experience also include litigation in the following areas:
• Probate: Using his valuable pretrial and courtroom skills developed over years of practice, Mr. Stilwell has extended these skills to help the elderly, vulnerable adults and families navigate challenging life, end of life and death events. This work includes drafting complex estate plans including those involving international clients.
• Defending Hoteliers: Defending numerus hoteliers against American with Disabilities Act (ADA) related lawsuits and employee claims.
• Employment Litigation: Representing countless businesses defending claims against employees whether through the California Labor Board or through a civil case proceeding.
• Appellate Work: Appealed multiple probate cases successfully.
Mr. Stilwell has practiced exclusively in California after completing his clerkship with the Hon. Jaime S. Rios in New York. He is licensed in all federal district courts of California, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court, as well as all courts of California.
- California, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. - 2003
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California
- B.A. - 2000
- Major: Philosphy