Is Legal Separation Right For You? Learn More About Your Options.

California law allows a couple to end a marriage or domestic partnership through divorce, annulment or legal separation. However, divorce and annulment involve terminating the marriage, while legal separation allows a couple to remain married, but simply to separate for a period of time. Legal separation can often be a good option for couples who do not know if they want a permanent divorce, with the provisions of a divorce in place.

If you have questions about the implications of a legal separation or how it differs from a divorce or annulment, an experienced family law attorney can help you understand the different options and advise you on which might be the best choice for your circumstances. At Contreras Law Firm, we provide quality representation in all aspects of family law.

Legal Separation vs. Divorce

Legal separation often occurs when spouses decide that they need some time apart but are not necessarily convinced that divorce is the answer to their problems. Other couples choose legal separation over divorce for religious or financial reasons. Legal separation does not have the waiting period that divorce has, and it is often possible to get a judgment on your legal separation practically as soon as you file the documents.

Since a legal separation does not terminate the marriage, legally separated spouses may not remarry or enter into a registered partnership. In many legal separations, the court will issue orders for property division, custody and visitation, child support, spousal support and any other orders it deems appropriate for the duration of your separation.

Contreras Law Firm | San Diego, California, Family Law Firm

If you are currently considering legal separation, you may need the assistance of an experienced family law attorney. We can assist you in drafting the separation documents and work to ensure that your interests are protected to the fullest possible extent.

Contact our San Diego office today to schedule a free initial consultation with a lawyer.

Back to Top