Elyse B. Butler has been certified by The State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization in the area of Family Law. She is an attorney at Contreras Law in San Diego, CA. Her practice focuses primarily on family law matters. Ms. Butler’s experience includes dissolution and legal separation proceedings, child custody and visitation, establishment of parental relationships, child support, spousal support, post-judgment modifications, mediation, preparation and review of marital settlement agreements, and both the preparation and defense of domestic violence restraining orders.
Attorney Elyse B. Butler is a member of the State Bar of California, the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, and the State Bar of Illinois.
Ms. Butler attended California Western School of Law in San Diego, where she volunteered at both the Domestic Violence Restraining Order Clinic and the Family Law Facilitator’s Office located within the downtown family law courthouse.
In 2013, Ms. Butler was nominated for The Daily Transcript’s Top Young Attorney. Prior to joining Contreras Law, Ms. Butler was an attorney for a downtown San Diego firm. Ms. Butler also clerked for the Honorable Robert C. Coates (Ret.) with whom she helped in the legal research and drafting of Ending Chronic Homelessness in America’s Major Cities: The Justice System Component, published in the University of San Francisco Law Review, Fall 2007, Vol. 42.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Family Law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, 2014
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- Arizona State University
- B.A. summa cum laude
- Major: Journalism and Mass Communication specializing in Media Analysis and Criticism from the college of Public Programs
- Major: Justice Studies
- Ending Chronic Homelessness in America’s Major Cities: The Justice System Component, The University of San Francisco Law Review, Fall, Vol. 42, 2007
Honors and Awards
- Nominated 2013 Top Young Attorney, presented by The Daily Transcript
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association
- San Diego Bar Association, LRIS Referral Member
- English (Primary)